I’ll admit it — I have a man crush.
Of course, every guy has a man crush of some kind. It’s just a matter of how secure they are in their masculinity to admit it.
I’m comfortable enough to admit that I love Christian Bale. He is definitely my favorite actor and I try to see all of his movies in the theater when they come out.
Thursday night, my friend Laura and I went to go see The Fighter. I had heard good reviews for it and it didn’t disappoint at all. The movie was fantastically made, and as always, Bale was brilliant. His performance as a former boxer dealing with a crack addiction was flawless.
Everyone remembers Bale from his creepy performance in American Psycho. I mean, who doesn’t like the chainsaw scene?
The movie that made me a Bale fan, though, was Equilibrium. A cross between Fahrenheit 451 and The Matrix, Bale did an unbelievable job portraying a character who was just learning what emotions where for the first time.
Then, after seeing his performance in The Machinist, I was hooked on Christian Bale movies.
For those that haven’t seen The Machinist, get it on Netflix now. Bale lost an incredible 63 pounds to portray an insomniac on the verge of insanity. It’s one of those movies you have to watch again to really appreciate its brilliance.
How Bale didn’t win a ton of awards for his role in The Machinist is beyond me.
Since seeing those movies, I’ve been sure to watch every Bale movie that hits the big screen. The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma and the Batman movies were all great. The only movie of his I didn’t like that much was Terminator Salvation, mostly because the script was garbage.
I would definitely put his performance in The Fighter right up there with The Machinist. Seeing the real Dicky Eklund at the end of the movie, you see that Bale had the mannerism of the character down perfectly too.
Hopefully he will win a few awards for his performance in this movie. He’s already nominated for a Golden Globe, and surely an Academy Award nomination is soon to follow.
If you haven’t seen The Fighter yet, be sure to check it out. You won’t be disappointed — especially if you have a man crush.
• The time between New Years Day and the BCS title game is ridiculous. Is it just me, or does it seem to be later each year?
• The beard growing efforts lasted all of six days. I’ve determined it is a hopeless cause.
• Glad to see Jim Harbaugh spurned Miami. The way the Dolphins were going about this process when they already have a head coach was sickening. That said, if Harbaugh stays at Stanford, I don’t think he is very smart.
• Tejada is going to Louisiana with her boyfriend, so I have Boogie all weekend. Hope the weather is nice on Saturday so we can go do something fun at the park or at Kemah.
• Does anyone doubt Vince Young is going to be an Oakland Raider next year?
• Hopefully I have finally solved the flea problem after bombing my apartment. If not, then I will likely reenact this scene.
• NFL playoff predictions coming Saturday.
Bear Down and Keep the Faith!