One of my favorite things to do for the paper each week was compile an “Alumni Notebook.” Basically what it entailed was tracking stats of the county’s former high school stars that had moved on to play college and pro sports.
It took hours to do each Monday, but I felt like it was important. The community loved it and I always received compliments for it.
As the kids I covered in high school started making their way to the college ranks, I friended them on Facebook. By doing that, if I needed to get a hold of them for a bigger story, it was real easy.
Over the past year, I’ve also friended some of the biggest high school stars in the county (Only the guys, not any of the girls. That would be a little creepy). Same reasoning — it is always easy to get a hold of the kids for a story if you are friends with them on Facebook.
Two of the kids I friended were La Marque senior defensive tackle Antonio Wright and his younger brother, junior running back Tim Wright. Those two are legit superstars and were our players of the year in football this past season.
Tim is especially a stud. He rushed for more than 2,368 yards this season, despite playing on two sprained ankles for the last eight games.
I compare him to a stronger version of Reggie Bush. Here are the highlights from the state championship game this year. You will see what I mean by watching the first 2:10.
Clearly Tim has the talent to be a major DI back. However, there is one little problem with TimTim — his grades.
Big brother has helped him improve in that regard this past year, and Tim is saying all the right things about improving his grades. However, he still is likely going to have difficulty qualifying at a major university.
Tim is well spoken, so you wouldn’t be able to guess he struggles that much in the classroom. Well…until you follow him on Facebook.
Here are some of my favorites.
• If i don’t txt u no moe dat mean I ain’t fuckin wit yu in 2k11…ful yu hoes an niggas.idc wat anybody gotta say bout me.ima make out dis shit wit out yall,
• i woke up early in da moanin roun da crack ah doawnin way chuck ducese ta mi niggas like wuzzup,an im awl tatted up dat bang in mi truck erbody in mi city shoo me luhh….
• -*woke uq late kuz i grind awl nite reach n da ashtrae grab’d wats left of dat flight,fired up dat dooby ta get dat 1st high turnd own dat pac blood watchin time fly brushd my teeth washd my face threw on dem red chucks wit da fat boy lace,fresh pair of dickies dat kum wit ah crease white tee got me G’d from head ta my feet,threw on dat texas city boi hat i don’t rokk dasiey dukes flip dat bitch ta da bak!
• not even in da mood fa da party nomoe…..bout ta jus chill till mi big bro bday(jan!st) hotel party…but until den wat go down who wanna sit bakk an watch da big screen in da king size??
• aint nomoe hoops jus kandi coops screenz fawl n da sts…(Z-ro)
• :-X i neva met da gurl but i fuckd ha like i miss’d ha
I’m not going to lie — Tim’s Facebook statuses make my day. I love the kid, so I feel bad about laughing, but I just can’t help it.
Hopefully Tim can get his grades in order, because I think he has NFL potential. Instead, I bet he goes the Cam Newton route and goes to Blinn for a year or two.
If his Facebook statuses are anything like his performance in English class, though, that could be easier said than done.
I should have saved this, because the job posting has since expired.
I found one opening for a writer for a new publication that was starting up. Now, there was no actually pay associated with this. Instead, you were exchanging your services for the right to use a condominium in Salt Lake City for a week. No money at all, just use of the condominium.
Seriously, I couldn’t make that up if I tried. Needless to say, I did not apply.
• One of my guilty pleasures on TV has always been the Celebrity Apprentice. I’ve been waiting to see who was on this season’s cast, and upon the announcement last week, I was quite excited.
Members of this year’s cast include Gary Busey…actually I’m going to stop right there. It doesn’t matter who else is on the cast, I’m totally watching Gary Busey on the Apprentice.
• Speaking of reality TV, Russell and Boston Rob are returning for the new season of Survivor. Sorry, but if I am on Russell’s tribe, I get rid of him ASAP.
• I can’t imagine why the new Ashley Madison commercial was rejected by FOX for the Super Bowl.
• Interesting read on how the Net are…well, still the Nets.
• I really, really, really need my COBRA health insurance to kick in so I can go to the chiropractor. My neck has me feeling like I have Tourettes with the way I am always trying to stretch it out.
• Four days until A-Packer-lypse Now. I’m ready for Cutler and the boys to send those losers back to Wisconsin where they belong.