Well, it has been over a month since I was laid off.
It’s weird, because it doesn’t seem like it has been that long, but at the same time, I’ve almost forgotten what it is like to have a real job.
Over the past month, I’ve found there are many positives and negatives to being unemployed. Here are some of them.
• Positive: On days that I don’t have Boogie, I have been sleeping until at least 11 a.m. I’m sure everyone in the real world envies me for that.
• Negative: My sleep schedule is all kinds of screwed up. A few months ago, I was usually in bed by midnight. These days, I’m lucky if I am in bed by 2 a.m.
That schedule has made it difficult on mornings I have Boogie. I’ve actually fallen asleep on the couch while we were watching TV. I have to get back on a somewhat normal schedule.
• Positive: Plenty of time to catch up on video games. In the past month, I’ve played Fallout New Vegas, Force Unleashed 2, FIFA 11 and now I’m currently playing Mass Effect. By the way, Mass Effect is pretty bad ass.
• Negative: I can only play games for so long because I feel like a lazy slug. I usually set myself to play no more than three hours a day, which is still probably way too long.
• Positive: I’ve tried to put my extra time to good use. I’m blogging more, keeping my apartment clean and learning a different language. OK, it was just one phrase, but still, I’m proud of myself. (I will explain at a later time.)
• Positive: I’m managed to pick up a lot of stringer work. Along with radio, I am writing for three different papers and I just got picked up by a website. I’m also helping the Chronicle on Signing Day. So I’m getting a decent amount of work.
• Negative: Gas is freaking expensive! Normally I was able to pay off my gas card with money to spare using my monthly mileage reimbursement check. It sucks not having that income each month.
• Negatives: Expenses > Income. I’m actually not doing that bad, but the money I had stashed away to finish paying for the divorce is slowly dwindling. I need to get a job soon to get that shit rolling along.
• Positive: Have gotten to spend a lot of time with Boogie. We’ve been going to the mall, the aquarium and the bounce house down the street. Good times.
While there are positives to be unemployed, quite frankly, it is boring as crap. I’m ready to get a real job to get into some kind of routine again.
My luck’s been turning around in other areas lately, in particular the prospect front, so I have a good feeling that a job is upcoming. Just have to keep plugging away.
• If I don’t get a job soon, I could end up on this list of creepy houseguests.
• Seriously, this NFL CBA crap needs to get moving along already.
• This advertisement was in the mall when I took Boogie last week. Exactly what was going through the ad rep’s head? And what is the product?
Bear Down and Keep the Faith!