Entertainment, Life

‘Get in this car, let’s run’

I had been looking forward to last week for more than three months, and it didn’t disappoint.

Back in February, I got tickets to see my two favorite bands in concert. It turned out they were playing in the same week, with The Airborne Toxic Event playing in Austin on Sunday.

I told Yeh-Peu-Dah she had to go with me to both concerts, even if we had decided to just be friends instead of dating. Well, I’m happy to say we’ve been dating for fourth months now, so Sunday turned out to be a nice day getaway for us.

The Airborne Toxic Event

Since the TATE concert was scheduled to start at 8 p.m., Yeh-Peu-Dah and I decided to make a day trip to Austin out of it. I left her in charge of planning activities for the day, and she didn’t disappoint.

We left Houston around 11 a.m., and got to Austin shortly after 1 p.m. Our first stop was Mt. Bonnell, the highest “mountain” in Austin. I put “mountain” in quotes, because something with that elevation would be called a “hill” in Alabama.

We walked up to the top and had a nice picnic in the shade of the trees. It was a nice romantic setting.

Afterwards, we drove into Austin and parked near La Zona Rosa, where the concert was being held that night. We walked down 6th Street before reaching our next stop, a Duck Tour.

For those that haven’t been on a duck boat before, basically it is a boat on wheels. It drove through downtown Austin, giving history of the town, before literally driving into the Colorado River for a quick spin.

After the tour, we ate at Blue Ribbon Barbeque (not Alabama barbeque, but still very good) and then walked up to the state capitol for some pictures.

Since the tickets for the concert were general admission only (standing room), we decided to get in line early. We showed up at 7 p.m. and there were only about 40 people in front of us.

The line had to be broken up because it went in front of a parking lot. Yeh-Peu-Dah and I were in the back of the first line, and kept telling people that tried to stand behind us that they had to go to the back of the other line.

The group in front of the second line appreciated us keeping their position in line, and we got a chance to talk to them once the line merged again. Our new friends were named Sam and Christina.

The doors finally opened just before 8, and Yeh-Peu-Dah and I made a B-line to the merchandise table to grab some shirts. Sam and Christina held a spot in the crowd for us, just three rows from the front of the stage. It was an amazing spot.

The opening band, Voxhaul Broadcast, went on at 9 p.m. It was a pretty good rock group that played for about 40 minutes.

TATE took the stage just after 10 p.m., and it was worth the wait. They were absolutely incredible.

The band played until nearly midnight, including a seven-song encore. They played all their hit songs, along with covers of “I’m on Fire,” “I Fought the Law,” and “Folsom Prison Blues.”

I figured TATE would be pretty awesome in concert, but it was even better than I could have imagined. The concert would have already been great, but being that close to the stage made it that much better. We even got to shake hands with the band after the concert.

Yeh-Peu-Dah hadn’t heard of them before we started dating, and she wasn’t that familiar with all the songs. After the concert, though, she said that was the best concert she had ever been to. I agree 100-percent.

Yeh-Peu-Dah had to go to work the next morning, so we couldn’t stick around to meet the band afterwards (Sam and Christina got to hang out with them and got some pictures taken. We were totally jealous). We hit the road and I drove through the night while Yeh-Peu-Dah slept before we reached home.

She made it to work in the morning, while I stayed in bed until the afternoon. My body was flat-out exhausted from the driving, walking, standing and the sun.

It was absolutely, 100-percent worth it though.

Bon Jovi

The week of concerts started by getting to see Bon Jovi on Tuesday.

Now I had already seen Bon Jovi in Vegas in March. However, when they added a tour date for Houston, something they haven’t done since I moved to Texas, I had to get tickets.

This was the sixth time I had seen them in concert (twice in Atlanta, twice in Dallas and once in Vegas). They played two of my favorite songs, including the rock version of my fav “Someday I’ll be Saturday Night.”

Yeh-Peu-Dah said she enjoyed seeing me “in my element.” She insisted that was a good thing. My buddy Jenna and one of her friends joined us at the concert.

The concert had a different feel to it, though, because lead guitarist Richie Sambora wasn’t there since he had checked into rehab.

I read an article talking about Sambora a few weeks back. It said while Jon Bon Jovi is obviously the main reason to see the band, Sambora is reason 1B. I totally agree.

Having seen the band in concert so many times, it was obvious Sambora was missing. There weren’t as many guitar solos and, at times, the new guitarist was almost hidden in the background.

It was still an entertaining concert, as always, but I will definitely be glad when Richie and his 30-plus guitars return to the band.

Here’s the link to all the pictures from the two concerts.

Mad ramblings

• Someone that follows me on Twitter commented how he didn’t understand why all his friends were commenting on Bon Jovi. “I find it hard to get revved up about old, washed out rockers.”

I know one thing, if I was named the world’s eighth biggest celebrity when I was old and washed up, I’d still be feeling pretty good about myself.

• Yeh-Peu-Dah had minor hand surgery on Tuesday. You know you are dating an Asian girl, when the first thing she wants to eat after surgery is rice.

• Death Star PR had a humorous flow chart to prepare everyone for the rapture.

• Deadspin documented the hug heard round the world.

• I’m officially worried about the Bulls.

• I’m approaching the five-month mark since being laid off. Yup, ready for this little vacation to end.

Bear Down and Keep the Faith!


About Joshua Buckley

I used to be a Sports Editor. Now I'm the Media Relations Manager at the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center.


No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: