September: $hit Jaws, wait till you see the Colts
Lot of mad ramblings have been piling up in my notebook, so here we go…
• If you didn’t get a lump in your throat during the NFL’s 9-11 tribute, especially the Sunday night one before the Jets game, then you aren’t American.
• If feel good about my season predictions after one week, particularly Baltimore and the New York Jets in the AFC title game.
• So Jaws said shit on Monday Night Football. Can’t blame him. Watching Miami for a whole game would probably make me cuss, too.
• Jaws may have worse to say when he sees Indianapolis play. The Colts are bad without Peyton. I mean really bad. Ole’ No. 18 should just sit out this season and hope the Colts get a high draft pick to help him out next year.
• If the Texans don’t win the AFC South this year, I will be shocked. The offense is deadly with a physical offensive line and perhaps one of the best 1-2 punches at running back when Arian Foster returns.
• I thought Chicago could beat Atlanta last week, but I never would have guessed the Bears would beat down the Falcons as easily as they did. If their offense can play like it did on Sunday, then Chicago should easily get one of the wild card spots.
• Damn the Packers offense looks good.
• Tom Brady is even better.
• I’ve thought Cam Newton would be a good NFL quarterback, but I would have never predicted more than 400 yards passing in his first game.
• The Broncos are about to have a mutiny with their fans if they don’t turn to Tebow at quarterback soon. I don’t understand why they couldn’t create some kind of offense to make him successful in the league. Some NFL coaches are so uncreative.
• Not only did Yeh-Peu-Dah not mind that I watch the Alabama game on Saturday, but she actually sat on the couch and watched it with me. That’s something new for me — and I enjoyed it.
• If McCarron plays like he did against Penn State, then I think Alabama could run the table. The defense is so good that teams are going to struggle to score against it.
• I can’t really blame Baylor for trying to hold up Texas A&M’s move to the SEC. If the Big 12 falls apart, Baylor is headed towards the Mountain West, Conference-USA, or worst of all, the Sun Belt.
• I’m stunned by the failure of Garrett Gilbert at Texas. I honestly thought that kid would win a Heisman for the Longhorns. Now, he is probably going to transfer to a team like Ole Miss for his final year of eligibility.
• SEC appears to be targeting Missouri for team No. 14. Personally, I’d like to see them go after Kansas for basketball. Can you imagine Kansas and Kentucky conference hoops games? That would be exciting.
• Need Florida State to beat Oklahoma this weekend. Would be good to get the Sooners out of the national title picture early.
• I’ve seen high school defenses better than Michigan and Notre Dame. The last three minutes of that game were embarrassing. Entertaining, but embarrassing.
• MLB should be ashamed for not letting the Mets wear the first responders hats on 9-11. Absolutely horrible decision.
• This has been perhaps the most boring baseball season in years. I’m ready for the playoffs to begin.
• The Cubs seem willing to wait on Theo Epstein for the GM opening. That could be quite interesting.
• Billy Beane — not so much.
• Speaking of Beane, the first review for the “Moneyball” movie is out — and it’s not good.
• I’m not expecting NBA basketball until February at the soonest. Even that might be optimistic.
• My radio broadcast last week featured La Marque holding an inner city Houston team to two total yards and one first down. Final score was 60-0. Yuck.
• I’m in the semifinals of the fantasy baseball playoffs, though I’m already behind against Patty. Need a big weekend to advance to the title game for the fifth time in six seasons.
• My fantasy football team got off to a great start. I was the highest scoring team in our league, taking out league-favorite Patty in the process. Once again, the Jets came through for me big time in a nationally televised game.
• The new season of Survivor starts tonight!
• My apartment can’t fix my roach problem in my apartment. I am ready to move.
• My little Boogie has gotten so good at doing puzzles. She’s a smart one.
• She can also say Yeh-Peu-Dah’s real name. That has put a big smile on Yeh-Peu-Dah’s face.
• Met Yeh-Peu-Dah’s parents last weekend. Thought it went well. I know her dad is a little hesitant because of my past. I certainly can’t blame him. I’d probably feel the same way if Boogie was dating someone with my background.
• Her mom was impressed that I like Korean food, though. She plans to cook for me in the near future. Yum!
• And speaking of Korean food, Korean grapes are FANTASTIC! Must have some kind of drug in them, cause I couldn’t get enough.
• It’s sad that when the weather dropped to 91 degrees, everyone out here was talking about what a nice day it was. That’s how hot it has been this summer.
• I’m not talking any job stuff right now, because I don’t want to jinx it.
Bear Down and Keep the Faith!